Making Responsibility Measurable
Based on the guidelines issued by the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), we record relevant key CR-related indicators that provide a quick look at our performance and the progress we've made. These facilitate analysis and comparisons, but most importantly track the steady improvement of corporate responsibility at Bertelsmann.
Key Financials of the Bertelsmann Group
|Key Figures (IFRS)|
|in € millions||2016||2015||2014||2013||2012|
|EBITDA margin in percent1)||15.1||14.5||14.2||14.3||13.8|
|Bertelsmann Value Added (BVA)2)||147||155||188||283||362|
|Consolidated Balance Sheet|
|Equity ratio in percent||41.6||41.2||38.9||40.9||32.2|
|Net financial debt||2,625||2,765||1,689||681||1,218|
|Dividends to Bertelsmann shareholders||180||180||180||180||180|
|Distribution on profit participation certificates||44||44||44||44||44|
|Employee profit sharing||105||95||85||101||92|
Figures until 2015 are the most recently reported previous year's figures. Rounding may result in minor variations in the calculation of percentages.
1) Operating EBITDA as a percentage of revenues.
2) Bertelsmann uses the BVA as a strictly defined key performance indicator to evaluate the profitability of the operating business and the return on investment.
3) Taking into account the financial debt assumed, investments amounted to €1,244 million (2015: €1,281 million).
4) Net financial debt less 50 percent of the par value of the hybrid bonds plus pension provisions, profit participation capital and present value of operating leases.
Employee Figures of the Bertelsmann Group
as of December 31, 2016 (unless otherwise specified)
|Supervisory Board1)||Executive Board1)||GMC1)||Top
|<25 Jahre years||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||n/a||0||n/a|
|26-30 Jahre years||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||n/a||1||n/a|
|31-35 Jahre years||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||n/a||3||n/a|
|36-40 Jahre years||7||6||0||0||0||0||3||n/a||14||n/a|
|41-45 Jahre years||7||6||0||0||13||13||26||n/a||25||n/a|
|46-50 Jahre years||0||6||50||60||25||44||28||n/a||29||n/a|
|51-55 Jahre years||27||31||50||40||31||13||26||n/a||18||n/a|
|56-60 Jahre years||20||6||0||0||13||13||11||n/a||7||n/a|
|61-65 Jahre years||13||25||0||0||13||19||3||n/a||3||n/a|
|>65 Jahre years||27||19||0||0||6||0||3||n/a||1||n/a|
1) Basis: Members of the bodies as of December 31
2) Top and senior management are defined as those positions that are of particular importance for corporate talent management because of their success-critical function and their strategic relevance for the Group's continued transformation and the achievement of its strategic targets. Top management positions include the GMC positions, but not the Executive Board positions.
3) Basis: employees on permanent and temporary contracts, excluding trainees, as of December 31; with age indication (98%)
4) Basis: employees on permanent and temporary contracts, excluding trainees, as of December 31; with age indication (80%)
|in € millions||2016||2015||2014||2013|
|Wages and salaries||4,230||4,268||4,054||3,938|
|Statutory social security contributions||689||694||661||646|
|Expenses for pensions and similar obligations||149||160||119||109|
|Other employee benefits||202||213||180||172|
|Number of workplace and en route accidents||792||829||749||837|
|Accidents per 1,000 employees||18.2||17.8||18.3||21.7|
Basis: Employees on permanent and temporary contracts, excluding trainees, as of December 31
|Paid and unpaid leave|
|Ø No. of vacation days per employee||26.6||26||26.8||26.9|
|Ø No. of days of paid sick leave||12.6||12.4||11.0||11.4|
|Ø No. of days of maternity leave||1.0||0.9||1.1||1.2|
|Ø No. of days of other paid leave||2.5||3.2||3.4||3.2|
|Ø No. of unpaid sick days||4.5||4.3||3.9||3.5|
|Ø No. of days of other types of unpaid leave of absence||0.5||0.7||0.8||0.8|
|Total sick leave1) in %||6.8||6.6||6.0||5.9|
1) Sick leave as defined by Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA:
Sick leave quote = average number of sick days / target working days
Target workdays = calendar days - Saturdays/Sundays - public holidays (x = 365 - 105 - 10 = 250)
|Number of trainees|
|Volunteers / Student journalists||146||158||205||232||214|
Basis: Trainees in Germany as of September 30, 2016
Environmental Figures of the Bertelsman Group
Find more environmental figures of Bertelsmann and its division in our Bertelsmann Carbon Footprint .