First Bertelsmann AI Hackathon Delivers Concrete Solutions for Business Models
- Tech event focused on Data and Artificial Intelligence
- 55 participants from five nations
- Further development into first products and prototypes planned
- Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics are high priority for Bertelsmann
Bertelsmann has hosted its first AI (Artificial Intelligence) Hackathon. In September, 55 Hackathon participants from various Bertelsmann companies met in Cologne’s Rheinauhafen district to discuss the use of Data and Artificial Intelligence to solve specific business challenges for the international media, services and education company.
The participating teams consisted of employees from five nations. The tasks to be solved were set by mentors from various Bertelsmann divisions:
- Audio Now: Program automated podcast listening recommendations
- AZ Direct: Ideas for AI-controlled analysis of the condition of buildings
- N-TV: Develop a voice-controlled search function for video content
- RTL NL: AI-assisted recognition of emotions in video content
- und RTL CBC: Automated voice recognition of public figures’ voices in videos
Rolf Hellermann, CEO Arvato Financial Solutions and Head of Bertelsmann’s Technology and Data Advisory Board, says: “Data and technology are becoming more and more important for our businesses. Cloud Computing, Artificial Intelligence and Data Analytics are an especially high priority for Bertelsmann. Our goal is to become the technologically leading media, service and education company. The hackathon demonstrates how we at Bertelsmann can pull together to master the challenges we face in Data and Tech.”
The teams will all meet again in October at a follow-up event, where participants will have the opportunity to develop their ideas into a prototype or initial product for Bertelsmann and present them to a panel of AI experts.
Bertelsmann is a media, services and education company that operates in about 50 countries around the world. It includes the broadcaster RTL Group, the trade book publisher Penguin Random House, the magazine publisher Gruner + Jahr, the music company BMG, the service provider Arvato, the Bertelsmann Printing Group, the Bertelsmann Education Group and Bertelsmann Investments, an international network of funds. The company has 117,000 employees and generated revenues of €17.7 billion in the 2018 financial year. Bertelsmann stands for creativity and entrepreneurship. This combination promotes first-class media content and innovative service solutions that inspire customers around the world.